Gaming Friends

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2016 12:15 pm  #31

Re: The Official Gaming Friends Pet Picture Thread!

Thank you, Sandra It breaks my heart every time I have to euthanize one of my babies. But you just have to do what's best for them, so they don't suffer, and our own feelings have to come last.

2/14/2016 12:23 pm  #32

Sophie was one of the lucky ones....she had a loving, caring home. 

She looks like a boxer. I've been around that breed all my life since my cousin can't live without one. They have all been given the same name too...Tango. Wonderful breed of dog.

2/14/2016 2:05 pm  #33

Keeping you in my thoughts, Judy.  Sophie is no longer sick.  She knows how much you loved her. 

Normality is a paved road.  It's comfortable to walk on but no flowers grow on it!

2/14/2016 4:42 pm  #34

Thank you Sandra   Thank you, Fire

Sophie's   Story

Yes, Sophie was a Boxer...my favorite breed...I have had several, all rescues.  I was very lucky to be able to rescue Sophie....she had only hours left before she was to be euthanized...she was only about  2 &1/2 - 3.  She was taken in to high kill place in South Eastern IL, along with 2 other female Boxers.  All of them had been born in the same puppy mill...and all 3 had been used for breeding from 6 months of age, every 6 months.  Then the breeder took them to be killed.  My Sophie had just given birth, for God knows how many times, a few days before.  But because she was over-bred, all her milk glands had collapsed and she was unable to nurse her babies.  The bastard breeder pushed her litter off to the side and let them starve to death....which is neither a quick, or easy, death.  Then he took the 3 females to be killed.  The other two females were adopted immediately, as they looked like "perfect" specimens.  But my poor Sophie wasn't wanted, because she wasn't "perfect".  She was perfect to ME.  

Her head was too small for her body, she had a front stance resembling more like an English Bulldog....her ears stuck out to the side, and resembled the Flying Nun's hat.  And she had been so stretched out from having puppies, she had an udder like a cow, and it swayed when she walked.  I affectionately nicknamed her my Frankendog...because she looked like she had been created from different spare parts.  But she was beautiful to me.  She was very underweight, and she looked so sad in the pic on the net.

I was desperate to save her, but she was hundreds of miles away, and I couldn't get there in time.  I contacted a rescue group downstate and begged them to get her out of there for me....that I would gladly give her a home.  Thankfully they got her out with only an hour or so to spare before her time was up.  There are groups of long-haul truckers that volunteer and work with rescue agencies.....a group of these truckers relayed my Sophie up to me.....These truckers are truly Angels.  

Not long after I got her, within several months, both Sophie and my Sweet Annie developed the same cancer at the same time.  I took out a loan.....I only had enough of my own money for one baby...and choosing which would get treatment was never an option.  After surgery, Sophie was subjected to 30 consecutive days of radiation treatments.  She was real trooper.  And she insisted on taking her toy with during every treatment...the oncology team gladly obliged. All the skin fell off her leg at the radiation site...it was exposed meat....and I had to apply special gel to it several times a day.....I cried each time because it was so painful for her.  Between Sophie and Annie, it cost over $17,000 and it was well worth it.  They were my first cancer babies to survive.  The previous 3 weren't as lucky....their treatments failed.

Sophie had a horrible life starting the minute she was born....I only hope that it was better, and happier, after I adopted her.  I try my best for each and every one. And they all have special places in my heart, forever.

Last edited by hdnobjgamluvr (2/14/2016 10:44 pm)

2/14/2016 10:20 pm  #35

I am very sorry to hear about Sophie. I know you gave her a good and safe home Judy. 

2/14/2016 10:31 pm  #36

Thank you, Govs   .....

2/15/2016 12:17 am  #37

2/15/2016 5:34 am  #38

That's a heartbreaking story but with a happy ending, hdnobjgamluvr
I won't shock you with my thoughts on what I'd like to do to abusers.
Thank you for sharing it and you are a fantastic person to go all the way in giving a good life to a rescue dog, even if it costs you very much money. You are a very rare person indeed and Sofie truly was one in a million with her luck in having been found and loved by you.

2/15/2016 10:03 am  #39

Thank you Sandra   Thank you Candi

I didn't mean to ramble on, but Sophie's story needed to be told........my poor old girl had a really horrible early life, and then the cancer....I guess I just meant to bring the truth about puppy mills......the horrible truth.  I tell everyone I meet to NOT buy puppies / dogs from Pet Shops or "back yard" breeders....the Pet Shops get  their pups / dogs from these places.....and as long as people are willing to buy them, animals will continue to be abused and tortured.  

PLEASE rescue / adopt......there are so many wonderful, loving , pets that will be killed while waiting to be adopted and loved, while people continue to purchase pets from puppy mills and back yard breeders.

2/16/2016 11:26 am  #40

It certainly did need to be told Judy. 

Board footera